b.a.n.a.n.a.s

Monday, August 15, 2011

Some clients like to be serenaded - I hope.

Travel and work. Two things that go hand in hand when working in the Advertising/ Marketing industry.

I must say, for the past 9 years I have had the privilege of working with some AWESOME clients, and some very very cool adv professionals, who I still stay in contact with.

This story takes place in San Diego, CA.

Here we were, 3-4 people from Accent, sent to an all agency meeting for Saturn at Deutsch. What a beautiful office. So clean. So modern. So warm.

The partners were very nice, and very welcoming, and directed us to a conference room where everything was already all set up.

We lock ourselves in thisconference room - we will be here all day. from 9 am - 6 pm. With an hour for lunch.

Mentally, I'm prepared for this, but my ADD kicks in, and I'm just looking at the clock watching the time pass, hoping for an after meeting Happy Hour with all the agency partners. I enjoy the dinners and the mingling. 

During the meeting I started dozing off, and caught myself saying crazy things in response to some topics that were brought up, like when they asked: "Do Hispanics use the Internet" I responded, out loud "No, Hispanics are still on the pigeon system."

After some laughs at the round table. I decided keeping quiet was a better idea.

After the meeting, sure enough we go to a very nice dinner. Here, I start drinking. 3 Vodkas in. I'm happy.

After dinner, we took the party to the hotel lobby, where we met for after dinner drinks. We invited the Saturn Client(s) to meet us. One of the main honchos was there, I don't recall his name. He was a very nice man, in a very important position. I mean, my paychecks depend on this man and his opinion of accent and our work.

We continue drinking, chatting. He's laughing, we are all laughing. i'm telling jokes/ stories.. whatever. He looks at the time and realizes its almost midnight and he wants to go upstairs to call his wife, and go to bed because he has an early flight in the morning.

At this point, party-mode Steph is in full effect. I completely forget i'm on business, i feel so comfortable in my skin, and around this man, that i get UPSET he wants the party to end before midnight!

I feel offended! the party JUST got started!

I tell him to stay for another drink. He says he'd love to, but can't.

At this point, i smirk, look him straight in the eye, and start singing, at full volume:

Every party has a pooper, that's why I invited you, Party pooper!!! party pooper!!!


My co-worker is horrified. The client is starring at me singing at him.

he's in shock.

he's in shock I've not only sang to him, but that I'm calling him a party pooper!

he laughs

<<thank god he laughs>>

he says he's sorry - he's apologizing to me??

he's sorry, but must go.

I stay. I have another drink.


I think about my actions the next morning and think "wow, i'm really freaking crazy! -- What did I do??, i just called our CLIENT a PARTY POOPER!"

We fly back to Miami. My co-worker and friend doesn't let me live it down... for a long time.

She actually reminded me of this story last week. Seems like I had blocked it from my memory.

oops.

here are some pictures of me that night at the hotel lobby with some agency partners, and the Client! :D





1 comment:

  1. WOW... ou make me proud!!!

    Y SIGUE haciendo lo mismo...

    but no one dislikes her. Shes a popular gal!

    ReplyDelete